About This Blog

This blog came about in 2010 when I had to have toe surgery. I had a journey to write about so I set it up. Now in 2016 I found out that I have a congenital heart defect and that I will require open heart surgery to correct it.

I'm using this blog as a way to offload my crazy brain into a format that I can share with my friends if they are interested in reading it, and also to document my journey so that I can read it in the future and laugh about it :)

Fair warning: My blog posts are mostly a uninteresting, unintelligible mix of disorganized thoughts.

I love comments and shares so please feel free to interact!

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @srphayre if you like photos of sunrises and sunsets.

Friday, December 16, 2016

Roommate

For the majority of the days of my procedure and recovery, I had a room to myself. They do this primarily fo reduce the infection risks to the heart patient. Once you move on to Progressive Care, they attempt to prioritize heart patients to give them private rooms in Progressive Care too. In my case, with the delay in getting into Progressive Care, once an opening was available, I was assigned into the shared room. 

When I arrived into the room, my roommate was not in the bed, and his whiteboard seemed to indicate that he was off having various heart procedures (an angiogram). I got to the room at about 5 pm and there was no sign of anyone until 8:15pm when a significant other showed up and asked me if I knew where he was. I didn't, but suggested that she push his call-light to speak with me nurse on duty. 

Apparently she didn't really speak much English but said something about her daughter.  She sat there next to my roommate's bed for about 15 minutes and then my roommate was wheeled into the room.  He is in his late 50s (I would guess) and I believe him to be of Filipino decent. A doctor showed up with an update on his situation. 

From what I could understand, he had had a heart attack and was lucky enough to have someone close by who administered CPR. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance and had an angiogram earlier in the day. They found that his main arteries in his heart were effectively fully clogged. 

Unfortunately neither my roommate or his wife could understand what doctor said (even though he said it a few different ways) and they explained to the Dr that their daughter would be here in the morning and the Dr could explain it to her. The Dr encouraged my roommate to get a good night's sleep. 

2 comments:

  1. I think you have snuggled severely close to the edge of violating the HIPA act... Yep, over the edge ya go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think? Where is the personally identifiable information?

      Delete