About This Blog

This blog came about in 2010 when I had to have toe surgery. I had a journey to write about so I set it up. Now in 2016 I found out that I have a congenital heart defect and that I will require open heart surgery to correct it.

I'm using this blog as a way to offload my crazy brain into a format that I can share with my friends if they are interested in reading it, and also to document my journey so that I can read it in the future and laugh about it :)

Fair warning: My blog posts are mostly a uninteresting, unintelligible mix of disorganized thoughts.

I love comments and shares so please feel free to interact!

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @srphayre if you like photos of sunrises and sunsets.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Progressive Care!

This evening, I was moved into the Progressive Care Unit. This is the next step having graduated Intensive Care. I actually graduated a couple of days ago but PCU didn't have any available spots. (We found out later that this actually unusual for this time of year when it's normally relatively quiet.) with PCU full, I stayed in my room in ICU until my wife found water seeping out from the wall (suspected plumbing leak) and then I was moved to a different room in ICU! 


Sleep has been difficult for the past few days and there have been some ups and downs with the various tubes and ports being left in/removed. But right now I have only one central line for administering meds and taking blood,  and I still have pacer wires running through my chest onto the surface of my heart (both of which are scheduled to be removed tomorrow). Beyond that, I'm free! 

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to be seen by the various therapists in the morning and be discharged in the afternoon. It's crazy to think that I'd be discharged 4 days after open heart surgery! There is a long road to recovery still, but I've been lined up for success. 

I've met so many wonderful people in the past 4 days, who have devoted their lives to help out people in need.  Every single one of the nurses, respiratory therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists,  nursing assistants, students, etc were professional, loving, and caring people. At every step, they helped make our experience as smooth and plain sailing as possible; reassuring us along the way when there were minor setbacks.  I will forever grateful to them and right now I'm trying to figure out how I can show my gratitude to them all. I understand that a post-recovery visit is appreciated but I'm not sure how that would work. 




1 comment:

  1. Post recovery visit with edible gifts, like brownies, or cookies, or chocolate. Nurses love that stuff! Glad your recovery is going so well!

    ReplyDelete